Caring for MI Future: Facilities Improvement Fund (CFMF FIF) is a grant program to distribute $50 million to new and expanding licensed child care providers, across the State of Michigan, in order to renovate and upgrade their facilities to support increased capacity for serving children, especially in geographic areas with limited providers. These funds address facility quality related to heating and cooling, ventilation, noise, lighting, classroom furnishings, and outdoor play areas, which are all proven to contribute to quality learning environments and positively impact children’s learning, development, and well-being.
The Pre-Qualification Application will verify that you meet eligibility requirements, including holding a valid child care license, up to date general liability insurance, and that you have the legal right to make physical changes to the facility (as stated on a deed or lease).
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis and can be submitted until March 30, 2024.
In order to submit an application:
Create a free Submittable account. More information on creating an account and navigating the Submittable platform can be found here.
Confirm your eligibility. Eligible applicants include licensed child care providers, meeting the following criteria:
- Newly licensed providers whose licenses were issued on or after May 1, 2022.
- Existing providers who have expanded their licensed capacity as of May 1, 2022.
- Existing providers who are currently in the process of expanding their licensed capacity.
- Licensed family child care home or group child care home with an approved capacity variance from Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
Prepare your documents and information as you will need to upload the following:
- Proof the licensed location either has an approved capacity variance, is a newly licensed location as of May 1, 2022, or is expanding the licensed capacity through Michigan’s Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs (LARA).
- Contact information for Primary Contact, including an email address where communication about the application can be sent.
- Current licensing information, including license number issued through the Michigan Department of Education and current licensed capacity.
- Current Business plan. If you do not have a business plan, please see our Resources page.
- Proof of General Liability Insurance.
- Deed, mortgage document, property tax statement, or other document showing ownership OR current lease showing 2+ years remaining and demonstrating a right to make changes to the building.
- Information on licensed capacity and enrollment at the time of application.
Once the Pre-Qualification Application has been submitted, you will receive a confirmation email to the address provided in the application. Your application will be reviewed and a response sent in writing within four (4) weeks.
For more information about the application processes, eligibility, how applications will be evaluated and grant money distributed, and more, please visit the full guidelines document found here: CFMF FIF Applicant Guidelines
Visit the CFMF FIF website for additional resources, including:
- A list of eligible and ineligible expenses that can be paid for with grant dollars.
- Presentations, resource guides, Q&A forms to understand best practices in child care education facilities standards.
- A sign-up list to receive updates related to CFMF FIF.
- Information on how to connect to other Caring for MI Future opportunities.
Information About Submittable
You will need to create a free Submittable account.
- Submittable works best on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Safari. Internet Explorer is not supported. Please make sure you are using a supported browser.
- We will follow-up with you about your submission by email. Please be sure to safelist notification emails from Submittable and check the email you used to sign up for your Submittable Account regularly.
- You can save a draft of your work if you would like to finish filling out the form at a later date.
- If anything changes with the information you submitted, please request to edit the submission.
- You can invite others to collaborate with you while filling out this form. If your collaborators have questions, this is a great article to share with your collaborators.
Check out the Submitter Resource Center or contact Submittable Customer Support.